How to choose office chairs and chairs.
Many of the requirements for office chairs coincide with the requirements for Cabinet furniture. First of all, reliability in use, versatility of design, convenience, external solidity and attractiveness. However, if it is enough to look at it and study the characteristics for choosing Cabinet furniture, then it is necessary to sit down on office chairs and try all the adjustments and functions. This is the main Board in the selection of chairs and stools. The right choice of a work chair is the main factor in maintaining high performance and health for many years.
By analogy with Cabinet furniture, we formulate a minimum set of requirements for a work chair:
– the presence of plastic armrests and five-beam support with easily rotating wheels;
– the ability to change the height of the seat and the tilt of the back with one hand and without getting up from the chair. All adjustments should be easy and pleasant – the only way you will train yourself to adjust the chair to your figure, and not Vice versa;
– the presence of a shock absorber on the height adjustment mechanism, which softens the sharp change in the load on the spine when lowering it to the seat;
– ergonomic shape of the back (cushion under the lumbar deflection). This can be achieved both by the shape of the frame and by thickening the upholstery;
– a thick layer of high-elasticity foam with peripheral thickening of the seat (to facilitate fixing the vertical position) and a soft rounded front edge of the seat (to avoid systematic compression of blood vessels on the legs);
– safe upholstery material on the” working “surfaces of the seat and back (dense fabric, genuine leather, special “breathable” types of furniture fabric), which allows you to avoid overheating and cooling in any weather and humidity. For the lower and back surfaces, a plastic or leatherette finish is acceptable.
Better and more expensive seats may have more complex adjustment mechanisms:
– smooth change of the back height and seat depth;
– armrests that are adjustable in height and angle of rotation;
– synchromechanism “1:3”, synchronously changing the angle of the seat and back in an ergonomic proportion (each degree of seat tilt is equal to 3 degrees of back tilt);
– mechanism “rocking chair” – rocking the chair with a precisely selected for your weight coefficient of elasticity;
– better materials can be used:
– built-in metal frame for five-beam supports,
– polyurethane, aluminum, wood or leather upholstery for armrests,
improved leather for the front and upper surfaces of the seat and back, natural leather for the lower and rear surfaces.
A few practical recommendations (from the experience of our customers).
– Wheels that can be easily rolled on a smooth floor or on a fleecy surface – a mandatory requirement for work chairs for employees and managers.
– The need for armrests for employees ‘ chairs is determined by how much they have to work with the computer keyboard (they need elbow support) and how often they have to leave the workplace (they need to rely on getting up and down on the chair). It makes sense to buy chairs without armrests only if there is an extreme lack of space in the office.
– Managers who often hold meetings and meetings in their office need to have a “rocking chair” mode in the mechanism of the chair, and those who work a lot in a constant position with a computer and papers – an ergonomic synchromechanism “1:3”, which perfectly adjusts the chair to any shape and any type of work.
– Decentralizing the swing: the swing axis in the “rocking chair” mechanism should be moved forward from under the center of the chair (the farther away-the better), then when swinging in the chair, the legs (knees) will not rise up, and the process of swinging will look dignified and solid.
– Chairs and chairs for visitors should have a low back, the minimum possible width, preferably on legs or on an elastic frame. Chairs on a rotating support are only applicable to visitors who are already used to office chairs (otherwise, the visitor will continuously spin in front of you and interfere with the conversation).
– Chairs for employees should only support the shoulders and back (sleep in the workplace is a great temptation for middle and lower-level staff), but the head of the head can also be supported by the back of the chair.